Mechanics vs. Energy/Environment related Materials and Systems
- Jianbing Zhao^, Ling Liu^, Patricia J. Culligan and Xi Chen*, Thermal Effect on the Dynamic Infiltration of Water into Single-walled Carbon Nanotubes. Physical Review E, 2009, 80: 061206. This paper is also included in the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, January 2010 (Volume 21).
- Qulan Zhou^, Na Li^, Xi Chen, Tongmo Xu and Shien Hui, Flow Field of Water Drops in Blade Channel: Numerical Analysis of Water Drop Erosion on Turbine Blades, International Journal of Turbo and Jet Engines, 2009, 26: 201-222.
- Jianbing Zhao^, Patricia J. Culligan, John T. Germaine and Xi Chen*, Experimental Study on Energy Dissipation of Electrolyte in Nanopores. Langmuir, 2009, 25: 12687 - 12696.
- Ling Liu^, Jianbing Zhao^, Patricia J. Culligan, Yu Qiao and Xi Chen*, Thermally Responsive Fluid Behaviors in Hydrophobic Nanopores. Langmuir, 2009, 25: 11862–11868.
- Weiyi Lu, Taewan Kim, Aijie Han, Xi Chen and Yu Qiao, Eletrowetting Effect in a Nanoporous Silica, Langmuir, 2009, 25: 9463–9466.
- Ling Liu^, Jianbing Zhao^, Chun-Yang Yin^, Patricia J. Culligan, and Xi Chen*, Mechanisms of Water Infiltration into Conical Hydrophobic Nanopores. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2009, 11: 6520-6524.
- Ling Liu^, Xi Chen, Aijie Han, and Yu Qiao, Infiltration of Electrolytes into Molecular-Sized Nanopores, Physical Review Letters, 2009, 102: 184501.
- Ling Liu^ and Xi Chen*, Nanofluidic Transport in Branching Nanochannels: A Molecular Sieve Based on Y-Junction Nanotubes. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2009, 113: 6468-6472.
- Zhongguo Sun^, Guang Xi and Xi Chen*, Mechanism Study of Deformation and Mass Transfer for Binary Droplet Collisions with Particle Method, Physics of Fluids, 2009, 21: 032106.
- Yu Qiao, Ling Liu^ and Xi Chen*, Pressurized Liquid in Nanopores: A Modified Laplace-Young Equation, Nano Letters, 2009, 9: 984-988.
- Zhongguo Sun^, Guang Xi and Xi Chen*, Numerical simulation of binary collisions using a modified surface tension model with particle method, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 2009, 239: 619-627.
- Qulan Zhou^, Qinxin Zhao, Xi Chen*, Tongmo Xu and Shien Hui, A Dimensionless Factor Characterizing the Ignition of Pulverized Coal Flow: Analytical Model, Experimental Verification, and Application. International Journal of Energy Research, 2009, 33: 235-254.
- Weiyi Lu, Aijie Han, Taewan Kim, Venkata K. Punyamurtula, Xi Chen, Yu Qiao, Field-Responsive Ion Transport in Nanopores, Applied Physics Letters, 2009, 94: 023106.
- Taewan Kim, Venkata K. Punyamurtula, Weiyi Lu, Aijie Han, Venkata K. Punyamurtula, Xi Chen and Yu Qiao, Effects of anion concentration on ion-transport pressure in nanopores. Applied Physics Letters, 2009, 94: 013105.
- Zhongguo Sun^, Guang Xi and Xi Chen*, A Numerical Study of Stir Mixing of Liquids with Particle Method, Chemical Engineering Science, 2009, 64: 341-350.
- Jie Yin^, Eyal Bar-Kochba, and Xi Chen*, Mechanical Self-Assembly Fabrication of Gears. Soft Matter, 2009, 5: 3469 - 3474. The work was reported by Royal Society of Chemistry (07/20/2009) as a featured highlight on Chemical technology news. Quote in the news “It's a new way of thinking about how we use materials to build gears”. This work was also highlighted by the popular website of NewScientist, with quote “this is the first demonstration of building gears with this type of self-assembly”, by Popsci, by Today’s Machining World, by Technologijos. The work was also highlighted on the website of Soft Matter, and it was “one of the most highly read articles published in Soft Matter during 2009”.
- Jie Yin^, Xi Chen* and Izhak Sheinman, Anisotropic Buckling Patterns in Spheroidal Film/Substrate Systems and their Implications in Some Natural and Biological Systems, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 2009, 57: 1470-1484.
- Liang Ma, Arun Yethiraj, Xi Chen* and Qiang Cui, A computational framework for mechanical response of macromolecules: application to the salt concentration dependence of DNA. Biophysical Journal, 2009, 96: 3543-3554.
- Yuye Tang^, Xi Chen*, Jejoong Yoo, Arun Yethiraj and Qiang Cui, Numerical simulations of patch clamp and nanoindentation experiments of mechanosensitive channels of large conductance in Escherichia coli, Experimental Mechanics, invited paper, 2009, 49: 35-46.
Nanoindentation and Impact/Contact Mechanics
- Baoxing Xu^, Zhufeng Yue, and Xi Chen*, An indentation fatigue depth propagation law. Scripta Materialia, 2009, 60: 854-857.
- James A. Mills^ and Xi Chen*, Spherical indentation on coating/substrate system: determining substrate properties. ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 2009, 135: 1189-1197.
- Jun Tan, Philippa J. Meadows, Daxu Zhang, Xi Chen, Eddie Lopez-Honorato, Xiaofeng Zhao, Fan Yang, and Ping Xiao, Young’s modulus measurements of SiC coatings on spherical particles by using nanoindentation, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2009, 393:22-29.
- Nagahisa Ogasawara^, Norimasa Chiba and Xi Chen*, A simple framework of spherical indentation for measuring elastoplastic properties, Mechanics of Materials, 2009, 41: 1025-1033.
- Baoxing Xu^, Akio Yonezu, Zhufeng Yue, and Xi Chen*, Indentation creep surface morphology of nickel-based single crystal superalloys. Computational Materials Science, 2009, 46: 275-285.
- Baoxing Xu^, Zhufeng Yue, and Xi Chen*, Damage analysis in bending creep tests. Philosophical Magazine Letters, 2009, 89: 335-347.
- Yong X. Gan and Xi Chen, Macro- and Microscopic Approaches to Plane Strain Deformation States of Face-Centered Cubic Metals under Wedge Indentation, International Journal of Applied Mechanics, 2009, 1: 41-60.
- Akio Yonezu, Baoxing Xu^ and Xi Chen*, Indentation Induced Lateral Crack in Ceramics with Surface Hardening. Materials Science and Engineering A, 2009, 507: 226-235.
- Qulan Zhou^, Na Li^, Xi Chen*, Shien Hui, Tongmo Xu and Di Zhang, Analysis of Water Drop Erosion on Turbine Blades based on a Nonlinear Liquid-Solid Impact Model, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 2009, 36: 1156-1171.
- Baoxing Xu^, Zhufeng Yue, and Xi Chen, Numerical investigation of indentation fatigue on a polycrystalline copper. Journal of Materials Research, Focus issue of indentation, 2009, 24: 1007-1015.
- Ling Liu^, Nagahisa Ogasawara^, Norimasa Chiba and Xi Chen*, Can Indentation Test Measure Unique Elastoplastic Properties? Journal of Materials Research, Focus issue of nanoindentation, 2009, 24: 784-800.
- Jin Yan, Anette M. Karlsson, Marion Bartsch and Xi Chen, On stresses induced in a thermal barrier coating due to indentation testing, Computational Materials Science, 2009, 44: 1178-1191.
- Baoxing Xu^, Xi Chen* and Haim Waisman, Crack propagation toward a desired path by controlling force direction. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 2009, 76: 2554-2559.
- Weixu Zhang^, Zhimin Xu, Tiejun Wang and Xi Chen*, Effect of Inner Gas Pressure on the Elastoplastic Behavior of Closed-Cell Metal Foams: A Second-Order Moment Micromechanics Model, International Journal of Plasticity, 2009, 25: 1231-1252.